Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My City - Blog4 NZ

I am a Christchurch girl born & bred. I often say that I am a Cantabrian first and a Kiwi second - not that I am not proud to be a Kiwi, because I totally am, after all I do have the Silver Fern and Southern Cross tattooed on my back. But I am as One-Eyed as they come.

22nd February 2011 will be a day is forever imprinted on the hearts and minds of a lot of Kiwis, especially Cantabs, who have been living through quakes for 5 or so months. I wasn't there on the day - I live in Brisbane for the moment but I did experience the September 4th quake - along with pretty much all of my family who were all in Chch to celebrate my mother's 80th birthday on that day.

It was certainly a shock to the system to wake to a such a jolt out of the blue. Seeing the devastation in the news you wondered if it could get any worse. Then one month ago today it did.

I watched in horror from the safety of my office in Brisbane as the city that I loved and felt was a part of me crumbled. After checking on the safety of my family and friends, my thoughts turned to those who had lost family. I couldn't even begin to imagine what it was like in Chch that day and I hope that I never have to experience it either.

The day was defined for me with the images of the Christ Church Cathedral - that iconic building that has stood at the centre of Chch for more than a century. I remember a time when the Cathedral was the heart and soul of the city, when it was the tallest building for miles around. I think over the years we have lost that part of ourselves as the urban spread began and malls like Northlands, & Riccarton were built.

I know that I should be thinking about those who have perished and those they have left behind, but (and I know it sounds silly to say) my thoughts are of the buildings. The ones that I have grown up seeing, the ones that I have worked in and the ones that define the character of the City of Christchurch. I know that rebuilding has to happen and I hope that whoever is charged with the task will do the city justice. It was and is a beautiful city and I can't imagine it any other way than the way it was. I know we have to move forward and this could be our opportunity to really make something of ourselves.

What do I say to people who want to visit Christchurch - Just Do It! Christchurch is my favourite city in the world. Not only is it a gateway to the stunning South Island but it is an amazing city on its own and one that has a lot to offer. The Botanical Gardens, the Port Hills with its amazing views, wineries without an hour of the city,and of course the people - you would not find a more resilient people than the Kiwis. Plus they need our money :)

No comments: